Faced with problems? Do check out some of the most common problems faced by our customers.
Why does the display only shows "Searching"?
- Check that SIM card has sufficient credit. If the SIM card does not have credit, the system will remain on the "Searching" network stage as it couldn't access the network. Also, make sure your SIM card has at least 50mb of data if you are using a prepaid card.
- Some carriers such as AT&T sells SIM cards plans such as Voice-only or Wearables-only. This will not work on our devices as we require the SIM card to be 3G enabled with Voice & Data plan.
- If you have the APN information of your SIM card provider, you may proceed to add the APN settings manually. Ensure that there is a 3G and/or H+ logo on the top left corner of the WatchPhone before doing so. Instructions can be found here.
- If you see an "R" instead of 3G or H+, it means that your network could be supported and you may need to switch on "Roaming" function on myFirst Fone. To do so, remove the SIM card that is showing "R", insert another SIM card that will show 3G/ H+, and go to "Device" to switch it on. After which, insert back the SIM card that shows "R" and switch on the device again. If successful, it should load up normally. If required, do edit the APN settings (instructions).
Why is myFirst Fone always in the Detecting Sim Card screen?
- Your SIM card may not have been detected by the device. Please power off myFirst Fone, remove your micro SIM card, ensure that you have the SIM card inserted with the gold chip facing down, insert the SIM card fully and lock the tray (you should feel a soft click) and power on the device. It could also mean that your SIM card service is not compatible with the myFirst Fone. myFirst Foneonly works with 2G and 3G networks.
- If you are seeing "Re-start the device after inserting in the SIM card.", it means the SIM card is not inserted into the device properly.
- Double check with your SIM card provider whether they support 3G devices. For prepaid cards, do ensure that there are sufficient credits on them. There are times where the bandwidth used by the carrier is not supported on our device. Thus, buyers need to check on their own that the telcos they are using support 3G. Oaxis will not be responsible for any subscription fees or charges that is caused by the users' failure to check on their SIM card provider bandwidth.
Why does myFirst Fone ask for my PIN Code?
- Some SIM card may be locked. You will require a mobile phone to unlock the SIM card by inserting the locked SIM card into the mobile phone. Please note that different models of phones require different steps to do so. See more here.
Why can't I call myFirst Fone from my smartphone?
- The SIM card used in myFirst Fone must have Caller ID enabled due to security reasons. myFirst Fone uses the Caller ID to determine whether the caller is on the approved whitelist.
- Besides the admin phone, all other numbers must be added to the Family Members list in order to call myFirst Fone. To do so, open myFirst Fone App > Settings > Family Members > Click on top right corner > Add Contact.
- Ensure that there is no spacing in any of the telephone number entered in the app. i.e: 9xxx xxxx must be keyed as 9xxxxxxx. That applies to the phone number for the myFirst Fone, or the phone number of the parent's phone.
How do I assign a specific smartphone as the admin phone?
- There is only ONE admin phone with full access to myFirst Fone. An admin phone will be able to add or remove other family members, configure classroom periods, geo-location alerts etc.
- The first smartphone that is connected to myFirst Fone will automatically be assigned as the admin phone.
- To assign other phones as the admin phone, you will have to first unbind all family members, including the admin phone, from myFirst Fone. To do so, open myFirst Fone App > Settings > About device > Unbind.
- Next, open the myFirst Fone App on the desired admin phone. Click on the menu button on the top right > Add Device > Scan Barcode > Scan the code displayed on myFirst Fone device.
Why does the battery drain so quickly?
- The following two major factors can cause high battery consumption:  screen-on time  GPS reporting frequency. We highly recommend parents to set the Watch Phone GPS location reporting to every 60 minutes. To do so, open myFirst Fone App on your mobile phone (note: only the admin mobile phone can edit this setting), click on the Settings button > Tracking Mode > Power Saving > Select your Tracking period > Save.
I am able to call but not able to access the GPS, Message, Alarm functions.
- For customers who can call myFirst Fone but not able to utilize other functions, this means that you have a non-data SIM card. Or there is insufficient credit on them. Users will usually see "Searching" on the Watch Phone. 3G data is necessary for myFirst Fone to transmit GPS locations, send and receive messages, voice memos, photos, and videos. Talk time is necessary to make live phone calls.
- Solution: Check with your telco if they support 3G devices. Also, ensure that there are sufficient data on your SIM card.
I am not able to make a video call from myFirst Fone device.
- Currently, video calls can only be initiated by the smartphone. myFirst Fone device does not have a video call button to call out from.
Why can't it charge and why does it not charge up to 100%?
- As we are using a magnetic dock to charge your watch phone, there are times where it is not placed properly. You will know that it is charging when you see a red battery icon with the word charging below it. Leave myFirst Fone turned on and charge. Turning it off might not charge the device.
I can't set any alarm on the myFirst Fone. Why?
- Only the parent admin phone ( aka the first phone that binds with the Watch Phone) can set and edit Alarms. If you are not the parent phone, you can only view the Alarm settings.
Is it waterproof?
- No. myFirst Fone cannot be submerged in water or used in a shower. However, it is rated to be splash proof which means it is safe to run it under the tap or use it for sports. Please avoid contact with steam (hot shower, sauna) as steam may seep into the device.
Is it Wifi enabled?
- Yes, the watch does have Wifi capabilities. However, it cannot be accessed by the users to substitute 3G network. The Wifi is used by the WatchPhone to accurately detect location while indoor. It does so automatically by scanning for surrounding Wifi signals. There is nothing to configure on your end.
What SIM cards does it work with?
- myFirst Fone only works with MicroSim card. If you have a NanoSim or Normal Sim card, it can also be fitted in as long as if you use an adaptor.
What SIM card plans should I use?
- That will depend on you. If you require calling your child, then get a data SIM card with call minutes in it. If you only require voice messaging or looking at where your child is via our GPS function and do not require calling, a data only card will be sufficient. 50mb or more is recommended.
What network does it work with?
- Only 3G network is compatible. If your Sim card has both 3G and 4G, the device will automatically connect to the 3G network. However, if your Sim card only has 4G network, the device will not be able to function as intended. Please check with your service provider to verify.
- Note: It does not support 4G/ LTE.
What is the supported GSM band?
- myFirst Fone supports the following 2G GSM bands: 900/ 1800/ 850/ 1900MHz. Supported 3G WCDMA band: 2100/ 1900/ 1700/ 850/ 800MHz. Do check with your telephone company if they are on the supported bandwidth.
- Oaxis will not be held responsible for any subscription fees or charges incurred due to wrong SIM card subscription taken up. Parents are urged to check with their local telco or SIM provider if they can support the Watch Phone.
How is it a fitness device?
- Technological advancement means kids are using tablets and mobile phones more which leads to more sitting. We want to keep them active while helping them embrace technology. To do so, we have applied a step counter function within the WatchPhone. With a reward system, we may have found the perfect formula to encourage kids to cultivate a healthy lifestyle. Parents are able to remotely monitor and set goals for your child via our mobile phone App.
How does the SOS button work?
- In times of emergency, it is crucial to be able to respond to it immediately. That is why we have prioritized a dedicated button for an emergency. By pressing onto the bottom right button, the emergency SOS is activated. A 30 second voice recording will be sent to the linked mobile phones and an SOS alarm will sound off.
What is Geofencing security?
- Geofencing is a way of setting a boundary. You can set a perimeter to any location and if they wander outside that boundary it will notify you immediately. It's all about safety.
- To do so, go to the Watch Phone app > Settings > Alert Area > Add Alert Area > Pick any location that you consider to be safe > Put a distance range > and click Save.
How do messaging works?
- The messaging system is a unique communication program developed by our own computer engineers. It allows a child to simply speak into the watch and send a voice message to any device at no additional charge. It's a way of communication to help foster bond between parents and child. It also teaches responsibility by instilling the virtue of regular updates.
- The messaging function can also send specially designed emoticons which quickly and accurately reflect an emotion.
Can I call myFirst Fone and speak in real-time?
- Yes, provided that the SIM card that you are using have call minutes on it. You can call and message the watch just like calling any mobile phone The device is encrypted for security by only allowing registered numbers to call through the WatchPhone.
Can my child call their friends?
- Yes, they can call any number that you have added and approved to the watches phone book through the app. Once they add a new friend, a message will pop up and you will be notified. However, they cannot add a number; call a number that you have not authorized in the app. Once you have whitelisted a number, they can call and send voice messages to their friends. Calls are charged at standard rates, however our unique voice messaging system allows your child to simply send a voice message at no charge to any device anywhere.
How easy is it to set-up to use?
- Once you switch on myFirst Fone and downloaded the dedicated app on either iOS or Android, it is easy to set up. Simply scan the QR code in when you first power it on. Open the myFirst Fone App on your smart phone. Click the '+' button in the top right corner > Click on Scan QR Code. You are now paired.
Where do I enter the invitation code that my wife/ husband sent out?
- If the parent sent out an invitation, you will receive an SMS. The invitation code is at the middle of the SMS, right before the link to download the app. Once you downloaded the app, register yourself in the app. In the app, there will be a plus and circle sign at the top right hand corner. Scroll down to "Enter Code" where you fill in the invitation code SMS-ed to you.
- Alternatively, you may "Add Contact" by entering the name and the phone number of your family member.
How can I track my child's location?
- The location tracking works via its inbuilt GPS and Wifi. It is accurate to 10m while indoor and 30m while outdoor. myFirst Foneautomatically lock onto any available wifi and derive its location. You do not need to manually connect to the Wifi band.
- You can decide how often you want to location updates duration based on your preference. We recommend setting the GPS to track every hour to get the best balance between battery life and security.
How do I appoint another smartphone as the admin phone?
- Only the nominated admin phone will have access to more features due to security reasons. To nominate another mobile phone, the current admin phone will have to be unpaired first. Open myFirst Fone App > Settings > About Device > Unbind.
How do I reset the device?
- By simply unbinding the device from the admin/ parent watch, it will automatically reset all the settings and information on the Watch Phone. If unbinding does not work, email in to [email protected] with your order number and tell us how can we help you.
QR code stays on screen even after I have scanned it using the app
- Simply restart myFirst Fone by holding onto the power button. Once it is restarted, scan the QR with your smartphone immediately. Why is this happening? When the QR code is first displayed, myFirst Fone simultaneously establish a connection to the internet to prepare for the pairing via QR code. After a certain period, the internet connection is dropped which is why the QR code stays on screen even after you have scanned it with your myFirst Fone app.
Where can I find the QR code?
- On a brand new device that has never been paired before, the QR code appears automatically when switched on for the first time. The first smartphone that scans the QR code is automatically assigned as the Admin smartphone. Only an Admin smartphone has access to several functions of myFirst Fone.
- To add another family member, please send an invitation via the Admin's smartphone app. Besides the admin phone, all other numbers must be added to the Family Members list in order to call myFirst Fone. To do so, open myFirst Fone App > Settings > Family Members > Click on top right corner > Add Contact.
Why am I unable to scan the QR on the device?
- Make sure you have downloaded the correct app for the device! Many times, we found that our customers have been using WatchPhone's app for myFirst Fone and vice versa.